In order to promote the mutual understanding and friendship, cooperation and exchanges in various fields between China and other countries, the Chinese government has set up scholarship programs to sponsor international students, teachers and scholars to study or conduct research in Chinese universities.
Entrusted by the Ministry of Education of the People's Republic of China, the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (hereinafter referred to as ‘UCAS’) will recruit outstanding young graduate students from all over the world and provide them full scholarships.
2. Value and Benefits
1) Tuition fee
Successful PhD students who are awarded a scholarship are exempted from the tuition fee of RMB 40,000/year.
Successful Master students who are awarded a scholarship are exempted from the tuition fee of RMB 30,000/year.
2) Application fee
Successful applicants who are awarded a scholarship are exempted from the application fee of RMB 600.
3) Monthly stipend
Successful PhD applicants will receive a monthly stipend of RMB 5,000, of which RMB 1,500 will be provided by the supervisor or the CAS Institute the applicant is enrolled in.
Successful Master applicants will receive a monthly stipend of RMB 3,500, of which RMB 500 will be provided by the supervisor or the CAS Institute the applicant is enrolled in.
4) Accommodation Fee
Successful applicants could live in UCAS Beijing campus for free or apply for an accommodation subsidy for those who live off Campus. The subsidy will be provided no more than RMB 700/month for master’s students/general visiting students, and no more than RMB 1000/month for doctoral students/senior visiting students.
5) Medical Insurance
UCAS will buy insurance for the successful applicants with the insurance premium RMB 800/person. Please see the website (www.lxbx.net) for the introduction of insurance coverage.
3. Sponsorship Period
Master students: 36 months (with no extension)
PhD students: 36 months (with permitted extension of no more than 12 months)
4. Eligibility Criteria
1) Be non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport, friendly to China and abiding by the laws and decrees of China, and UCAS rules and regulations. ;
2) Be proficient in English or Mandarin;
3) Requirements on education background and age as follows:
Applicants for master’s programs must have held a degree or diploma equivalent to a Chinese bachelor’s degree and the applicant should be no more than 35 years old.
Applicants for PhD programs must have held a degree or diploma equivalent to a Chinese master’s degree and the applicant should be no more than 40 years old.
4) Applicants should meet the general admission criteria for international students (please refer to the 2022 Enrollment Guide for international students).
5) Applicants must not have accepted any other sponsorship at the time of application and cannot accept any other sponsorship during the period of this scholarship.
6) Applicants should study full time in the research institute he/she is enrolled in and are not allowed to take any other job during his/her studies.
· If you are currently pursuing a Master's degree at any university/institution in China, you are NOT eligible for the Master's program of this scholarship. If you are currently pursuing a doctoral degree at any university/institution in China, you are NOT eligible for the PhD program of this scholarship. Otherwise, you will be disqualified from admission and the situation will be reported to your current university/institution.
· Because the education system in some countries is different from that in China, please see Attachment 1 for the degree requirements of applicants.
5. Application Process and Deadline
1) Application Materials
Please refer to the Call for 2022 Doctoral Programs for International Students and the Call for 2022 Master's Programs for International Students (here).
2) Online Application
Please Log in the Online CSC Application System, fill in and submit your scholarship application, then the system will automatically generate a CSC Application Form. The agency number of UCAS is 80001.
Please log in the Online Admission System for International Students at UCAS (http://adis.ucas.ac.cn) and follow its instructions to finish all the required application procedures. File and submit your application in the system as requested before deadline. Choose “Chinese Government Scholarship” in your application.
3) APPLICATION DEADLINE
March 31st, 2022 (Beijing Time)
6. Additional Information
1) Apart from the Chinese University Program, UCAS also accept students who are awarded the Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program, -EU Program and other programs. Please check the application process on https://www.csc.edu.cn/, if you want to apply for these programs.
2) Successful applicants should register at the time and place indicated in the Admission Notice. If you cannot come for registration on time for personal reasons and hope for a delay, please ask for approval from UCAS.
3) The time for registration set out in the Admission Notice will be the starting day of this scholarship.
4) Successful applicants must abide by relevant rules and regulations of the People’s Republic of China, UCAS and the research institute that you are enrolled in. You must take the qualifying tests, attend annual reviews and take other examinations on time. Otherwise, you will be suspended or deprived of your scholarship.
5) During their sponsorship period, successful applicants should publish their research achievements with UCAS and the institutes they are enrolled in as their academic institutions and should state that their research is funded by the Chinese Government Scholarship.
7. Contact Information
Coordinator: Ms. Xu Zijuan
Department: UCAS International Students Office
Address: University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, No.80 Zhongguancun East Road, Haidian District, Beijing, 100190, China
Tel: +86 10 82674900
Fax: +86 10 82672900